Recently I lost my smartphone and after lots of searching decided to give up and buy a new phone. As I only really use my phone for checking emails, a little remote desktop access and the odd bit of mobile banking I didn’t need anything overkill and I fancied a change from Android so I went for a Windows based Nokia Lumia 520.
The Lumia 520 can be picked up for £69.00 on O2 pay as you go (as of 01/07/2014, see here) but I paid a little extra and got mine the same day. I was initially blown away by the Windows Phone operating system as it was better than expected and I couldn’t find any flaws. I’d setup my email, installed the mobile banking app and so on which lead me to my final task which was to install the Remote Desktop app. You’d think this would be a straight forward task installing a Microsoft product on something Microsoft powered but no, when heading to the Microsoft Store on the phone the Remote Desktop app wasn’t showing so I searched the Microsoft Store online and it came up saying that it wasn’t compatible with the Windows Phone 8.0 operating system that was currently on the phone.
I had three options, to cry in the corner, wait for the update to be released or to try upgrade the phone manually. After a little research the update was said to be released within the “…first two weeks of July…” but there was no exact date and I just couldn’t wait.
After more research it turns out that you can use a free app called Preview for Developers which allows you to basically get the update there and then instead of having to wait.
Upgrading Windows Phone 8.0 to 8.1
Below you’ll find a guide on how to upgrade the Windows Phone operating system. Please note that any changes you do here are irreversible and this will no doubt void your warranty.
- First things first we need to create a free account with Microsoft’s App Studio using the link found here as this will give you access to the developer previews service and give you the magical updates – I used my main Microsoft account that’s linked to the phone to keep things simple
- Once you’ve created the account go to Microsoft Store on the phone, search Preview for Developers and install the app
- Once the app has installed launch it and you will be asked to accept the terms and conditions and login using the account details created previously
- Next you’ll see information about what the app does and so on, all we need to do here is tick the box next to Enable Preview for Developers and press done
- Now that’s enabled head to Settings > phone update and press check now and then follow the on screen instructions – You may need to repeat this process several times as it took me two updates to prepare the phone before the update to Windows 8.1 was offered
- After a little while you will now be running Windows 8.1! – You can check this by viewing Settings > about > more information under the OS version heading
- Make sure your phone is fully charged before attempting any updates as things could seriously go wrong otherwise!
- As with anything in development stages things may be a little buggy so be aware that you may stumble across the odd glitch every now and again
- Although not tested I assume the same steps will work for phones other than the Nokia Lumia 520, if you can confirm this I’d be grateful
Incoming search terms:
- how to update lumia 520 8 0 to 8 1
- How to upgrade window phone 8to8 1 manually
- how upgrade 8 to 8 1nokia lumia 520
- upgrade 8 to8 1 for lumia 520
- upgrade my windows phone 8 0 to8 1
- windows phone 8 0 to 8 1 update